Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A few weeks ago I came across some photographs I had of a red-breasted flycatcher I saw on Inishmor Island in Oct 2008. It motivated me to dig out some old sketches and images of red breasted and taiga fly's I have seen in the past and do up a few illustrations. As usual though, half way through I had some work to do and the sketches were left on the desk for a few weeks. Finally got a bit of time to finish them off yesterday and start some more, hopefully I will get a good run at these and they won't just be left to gather dust!


 Red-breasted flycatcher, Inishmor, Oct 2008.
A showy bird photographed on a very dull wet day, typical of autumn in Ireland. A little overexposed, the buff breast side extended across the breast.
 Taiga flycatcher, Happy Island, Oct 2010. 
The strong buff underparts and throat on this bird are a result of the evening light.
 Female Taiga flycatcher, Happy Island, Oct 2010.
In a more neutral light than the juv, the sharply defined throat and grey underparts are striking.
Mongolian plover
Another sketch which has been sitting on my desk for a few weeks, nice to finish it off. I have been trying new papers again recently, this was a stiffer card than before, the first coat was nice and smooth, but subsequent layers were quite rough, the surface breaking up a little. Will go back to water colour paper again for a while.

1 comment:

  1. It's got to be worth finishing off that Mongolian Plover sketch... what a cracker !

    ReplyDelete