I finally managed to pin down the ring-billed gull at the end of last week. It spent all of friday on the dulux roof top and was there again on sunday morning. It was only this time last winter that I first found it, so hopefully it will hang around until march again.
On saturday I was down in Cork and travelled out to Baltimore to try for the American herring gull that was found last weekend. I have missed countless Americans over the years and was really hoping to break the pattern. This 1st winter glaucous was one of 2 behind the fish factory as soon as we arrived and remained on show throughout our stay. The 2nd bird flew out into the bay very quickly.
We were there almost 2 hours with no sign of the American, and I was beginning to give up hope. Half way through my final loaf of bread, the smiths arrived in from the harbour and landed infront of us. We had great views of it for 30-40 mins before it flew off again without warning. Above is the only flight shot I got of it.
Smiths and glauc from saturday morning.
Ring-billed and black headed gull from Rialto last week. The ring-billed refused to come down to bread and I was only able to see the head and upper body over the edge of the roof.
Worked on a few illustrations today trying out bristol board as a surface. I have been pretty frustrated with water colour paper lately, and over the weekend I was lucky enough to see an Ian Lewington original. The paper was similar to bristlol board so it gave me the motivation to try it out. So far I am really happy with it and have a few more illustrations to work on. Above is the american herring gull from saturday.
Great excuse to do up a few collared flycatcher illustrations. Still trying to figure out the best way to to paint on the card.
Brown shrike, sketched from a photograph of a juv. cristatus from China a few years ago.