Monday, March 26, 2012

A few recent sketches

Spent most of my time with the Baillons crake photographing it, this was only a quick sketch done in between snapping away. With the views we were getting I thought I would get plenty of time to sketch but after walking up to our feet it fluttered around us and was never seen again! I only managed a few sketches of the ring-billed gull on saturday morning before setting off for Wexford, I had intended on returning a few times during the day.


 I spent sunday in Wicklow and had a fantastic time. Started brilliantly and only got better, a woodpecker flew along side the car in Kilmacanogue, landed in a tree near Avoca handweavers, once again doing well to keep control of the car! A red kite circled above the car near Roundwood and gave fantastic views and moving onto lough Dan I had more great views of a pair of dippers. I made my way towards Glendalough and walked a few trails, stumbling upon a territorial dispute between more woodpeckers. I sat down and had fantastic views of atleast 4 for the next 3 hours along with all the other great woodland birds like Jays, treecreepers and surprising hen harrier circling over head with buzzards!








Spent the afternoon sketching trees and woodpeckers, the lowest pic is of a tree a pair have nested in for the last few years. The day was far from over, met a friend near the Sally gap who had picked up a pair of crossbills near a traditional spot, unfortunately they disapeared almost as soon as I got the scope onto them! Just beyond the Sally gap I found a red grouse by the side of the road, walking back towards it I flushed 2 which circled around us. A great end to a fantastic weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment